Sunday, June 20, 2010

Overcoming Adversity: From Poisoning to Triumph - Anne Lipscomb's Courageous Story

[Comment: A heart wrenching trailer of a documentary about a woman, Anne Lipscomb, who developed building related illness. The documentary covers her story and how she overcame adversity and is something that anyone with an environmental illness can relate to. It is available to watch on her website at no charge. It may take time to download. If the playback is slow, pause the video and wait awhile so the buffer can load. Then start the video again. Anne also has a book called Poisoned by Pollution. What I like most about it is the objective way Anne tells her story. Her website has additional information and a subscription option for her mailing list for those interested.]



The quote below is from the video description Anne posted:

"This movie tells my story....the story about overcoming adversity while coping with long term illness. May it inspire you to carry on. It is not easy to live life while coping with a chronic illness and overcoming powerlessness. I hope my story of overcoming adversity will help you to triumph over your own adversity and overcome any obstacle that may show up in your own path. Watch my movie then read my book.

It will give you a new perspective on what is possible in the face of adversity. I hope that my story may be of help to you.

Anne Lipscomb

I write to you from the perspective of illness. Sickness imposes limitations. They alter but they need not define me. My perspective, as a result, is a hopeful and enlarged one. It is a story of overcoming adversity.

For a long time I used to go to bed feeling as if I lived in a prison. My chemical illness had closed off my world. This illness no longer writes my life. I have become my own author. The story of how this came to be is one I want to share. This book is not just a re-telling of my illness. It is also the story of how I came to be this new person, with a newly expanded expression of my soul, and then, a writer of my life.

Writing this book (Poisoned by Pollution) while sick has been a challenge. Ive spent too many days and too many years lying in bed feeling like poisons were coursing through me. For years, I could not even read or write without growing dizzy and nauseated. Sometimes I would talk into a tape recorder instead. Or I would write a few sentences, then close my eyes until the dizziness and nausea subsided before continuing on. At one point I almost died when my digestive troubles worsened so much that I couldn't hold down food or water, which led to my body being in a starvation state with my organ systems shutting down. The road to this book has been long indeed.

This book and movie have been 15 years in the making."

Key Words: multiple chemical sensitivity, chemical sensitivity, chemical sensitivities, multiple chemical sensitivities, MCS, EI, environmental illness, sick building syndrome, idiopathic environmental intolerance, fibromyalgia, chronic fatiuge, FM, CFS, mold illness, clinical ecology, alternative medicine, environmental medicine, neuropathy, encephalopathy, toxic, chemical

Blog Archive