Friday, October 17, 2008

NEWS: Did the state kill my cat?

Fire-retardant chemicals required by California in furniture may be poisoning us.
My beloved cat, Midnight, died a few days ago -- possibly because of toxic chemicals in my furniture. In two years with hyperthyroid disease, Midnight went from a plump 14 pounds to a skeletal five. A year ago, a veterinary epidemiologist found that Midnight's blood contained among the highest levels of PBDEs documented in animal research. That's when I learned that the chemicals in my cat came from my couch. And that my furniture is uniquely toxic because I live in California.
----
As I stroked Midnight before she died, I thought about the canary in the coal mine warning of lethal gases. Perhaps the story of Midnight's death can help protect us all from unneeded toxic fire retardants in our homes.
---
Read full text at:  http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/sunday/commentary/la-oe-blum17-2008oct17,0,6525043.story

Blog Archive