Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Volatile organic compounds found in paint and other fumes can be harmful

Volatile organic compounds found in paint and other fumes can be harmful
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/volatile-organic-compounds-found-in-paint-and-other-fumes-can-be-harmful/2011/07/05/gIQAAfJNMI_story.html

"I woke up early last Saturday so I could pick out paint for my living room. It turns out a lot has changed in the world of paint.

The last time I did this, it was hard enough choosing between bittersweet chocolate and black mahogany. These days color is the least of my worries. I now have to worry about how many volatile organic compounds, or VOCs, I'm willing to tolerate in my paint. In fact, the paint department has nearly tripled in size, as virtually all the colors are available in no-VOC, low-VOC and the old-fashioned version, which I can only assume is chockablock with VOCs.

I later found out it's not just paint. There are VOCs in air fresheners, markers, furniture, printers . . . . It made me want to stop breathing altogether."

Blog Archive