Thank you Carrie Johnston for your informative letter, "Chemical sensitivity man-made, debilitating," dated May 11.
My wife is a beautician, has been for almost 45 years. Because of that, however, she has developed asthma. She can no longer do perms, dyes or bleaches. She can only do haircuts now.
We went to an environmentalist specialist. He told us that she has asthma and fibromyalgia because of all the odors that she inhaled. She also has multiple sclerosis.
She is a very strong woman, and I am very proud of her for the way she deals with everything. When she comes in contact with someone with perfumes, colognes or hair sprays, she is affected by them. When we open our windows to get fresh air, we need to close them because of wood smoke from our neighbors. Tobacco, cleaners, deodorants, soaps, anything with an aroma, bothers her.
Now that we have been chemical-free in our home for so long, odors bother me as well. I instantly get headaches from aromas. It is pretty sad that even in hospitals, we come in contact with it.
When we are in church, we have to move when we notice an aroma.
People who use perfumes or colognes should use very little.
They should remember that not everyone may enjoy the scent and might have severe problems when they come near it.
Thanks again to Johnston for bringing this to everyone's attention. I was not aware that this was Multiple Chemical Sensitivity Awareness Month.